The password for an administrator account can be reset by modifying some settings in the users.cfg file.
- Stop the engine for WinRoute Firewall by right clicking on the engine monitor icon in the systray and selecting Stop WinRoute engine.
- Navigate to the directory WinRoute Firewall is installed in. WinRoute Firewall by default is installed here: C:\Program Files\Kerio\WinRoute Firewall.
- Edit the file users.cfg with notepad.exe or wordpad.exe.
- Look for the name of the administrator user account in the list item.
- Navigate to beneath the administrators name. Delete the current value between the >< symbols for password.
- Type in NUL:. This assigns that user account a blank password. It should look similar to this: NUL:
- Save the users.cfg file and restart the WinRoute Firewall engine.
- Try to log in to the administrator account without a password in the password field. You should now be able to log in.
Be sure to assign the administrator account a password right away.